Wednesday, January 12, 2011

La Musica

Here are the lyrics to the song that accompanies our Train float. This song will be sung about once out of every four or five song played during the parade. The other songs will be traditional conjunto songs from the Valley.

Jane and Gary Norian and I met yesterday to work on the music (OK, Gary and Jane worked on the music and I just said I like it). Of course, if you have been reading the blog, this will make sense, since the float is based on that old photo of four bandits who captured an old steam engine and we're gonna have them represented by four pinatas. Imagine Mexican accordion ballad, 12 string guitars, fast pace, drama, etc.):

FOUR YOUNG BANDITOS

Four young banditos took over a train
They went looking for treasure
But weren’t expecting the rain.

One of them said “revolution’s on high”
But he murmured to himself, “I don’t want to die!”

The second young bandit
He spun and he spoke -
“I wanted a life
For a broken cowpoke.
But I’m just a grave robber
No pride on my part.
I’m only the driver
This ain’t no fresh start.”

The third bandit he cried
From his horse and his throat
“I wanted to love
Ever note that I wrote.
But I’m never a poet,
always a clown -
Just a green cowpoke laughed out of town."

I’m the last young bandito
I’m so sad to say.
If my mother only knew
She would die before the day...

So I thought of my mother
and just walked away.

If you need a bandito
And you want a new start
Just go your own way
I’ll take my own part


Too many boxcars
Too much old smoke
Too many lawmen
In love with the rope

Four young banditos went looking for fame
Each whispered to me, “I’m sorry I came.”


Actually, these lyrics have changed a tiny bit, but you get the idea. Jane is on board for singing it during the parade and I've asked Rey, the guy who runs the Conjunto Hall of Fame in San Benito, to line up Gloria Jean and Raymond, who were on last year's float. Gloria is probably the best female accordion player in the State of Texas, no bullshit, and she's no where near 20. Raymond is amazing on the 12 string bass guitar (the baja sexto) but is also pretty crazy at hard-core rock rifts on a stratocaster.

I will know in the next couple of days if they can do it but Rey thinks they will. He also thinks that the whole Conjunto Estrella band might be available (Gloria Jean and Raymond play in that band). We'll see.


Here's the band in a prior performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8at46Ws2Cjo

There's also an awesome clip on youtube of Gloria Jean playing a solo with Lil Joe y La Famila, perennial Latin Grammy Winners, and blowing Lil Joe's audience away. She shows up at the 4:45 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yGy4vrlWuk

And another of her doing an old Freddy Fender song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZjw9LiQRww&NR=1

I asked Gary to reassure me -- as he was dolling up the bandito song -- that the band could learn the song quickly, but when I told him a little about them, he just dismissed my concerns.  There shouldn't be any problems with that.

I also found the perfect bushel basket in Houston to serve as the smokestack for the locomotive (and to house the smoke machine which I now proudly possess).

Jane and Kristy and Rachel are in Mission on Friday to start the decoration of the floats. Yay!!!

3 comments: